Monday, September 19, 2011

Hey all, I have a couple of new things to report on life here in Ecuador. First I love working at the high school. I have a bunch of classes, English, Math and Science, in my science classes I gave classes on hygiene. I didn’t know that I was going to be giving classes until I walked into the classes. I had no idea what I was doing. So now my three science classes are learning about hand washing and are doing a project for Global Hand Washing Day. They are making posters and one class is explaining hand washing to the school. I also have to starting making a garden at the Sub Centro, so that should be fun.
On Friday I had a meeting with the midwives in a small town that is even colder than Olmedo. It was great, it is the town that my friend Nathan does most of his work in. It is very pretty, but Olmedo is prettier.
Saturday I went into Cayambe, with my puppy Stephen and I took him to the vet. So I took Stephen on the bus and he fell asleep in my arms. When we got the vet, she said first she had to de parasite him and then Monday he would get his shots. Then Stephen and I went to my friend Nathan’s house where I left Stephen and Nathan and I went to a Rodeo. It was something very strange, it started two hours late and they had four bulls in a row and they had four riders get on the bulls. And one at a time, they rode the bulls. It was one of the most interesting things I have ever seen. After the rodeo I got Stephen and we went back to Cold Olmedo.
Sunday was Burrito day. My little host nephews (I think that is what I would call them) asked if I knew how to make burritos and tacos last week. And they have been talking about the burritos for the entire week, so Sunday I made them. I went to the Market and bought: half a chicken, tomatoes, an onion, and lettuce. And on Friday when I went to Cayambe I looked in vain for taco seasoning and taco shells. But I found this spice concoction that looked like taco seasoning. I was lucky because it all came together pretty well. And the boys loved it. It’s weird everything I do they find really interesting and want to know what I’m doing and why I’m doing whatever I’m doing. And last weekend I accidently started a Sunday tradition with the small children that are at my host family’s house. After lunch all the kids under the age of 12 come into my room and we watch a kid movie in Spanish. It is a lot of fun, and who knows maybe the words I’m learning from movie hour are going to be useful one day.
Today, Monday, I went to work at the sub centro like usual. And when I got home, I got Stephen and we went back to the vet. He was successfully de-parasited and got the first of many vaccinations. It is all because in two years he is going to have to get on a plane in Ecuador and come back to the US so he needs a lot of shots. I also got to talk to the vet and she is also from Olmedo and a very nice person. She kept her office open for me to come with Stephen. And Stephen is becoming quite a good dog, he still falls on his head and wimpers a little on the leash but he comes when I call and he knows the word out. He isn’t allowed in the kitchen and he loves to be in the kitchen because that is where the food and the people are. But he does know the word out, and the other dogs and my host nieces and nephews are also learning the word out. There is a little baby who is probably one and a half and she repeats the word out after I say it. It is pretty cool.
Well that is all I have to say. I hope that you all are having a nice September
Love, Aline

No comments:

Post a Comment